- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 pound of carrots
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk (or add a teaspoon of lemon juice to regular milk and allow to stand for 10 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons of ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 16 oz of Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
Directions for Cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Toast the walnuts in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
2. Rinse the carrots and peel the rough skins off, then grate the carrots.
3. Place the carrots, buttermilk, oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and orange zest together in a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
4. In another bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon.
5. Fold the flour mixture into the carrot mixture, being sure not to overmix. Fold in the toasted walnuts until evenly incorporated.
6. Scoop into cupcake papers about 1/2 to 3/4 full and bake for 19-21 minutes at 350F, being sure to rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes of baking. Afterwards allow to cool for 5 minutes before taking the cupcakes out of the cupcake tin and allowing them to fully cool on a wire rack. Frost cooled cupcakes.
Directions for the Frosting:
1. Beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until well combined.
2. Sift in the powdered sugar and mix.
3. Spread onto cooled cupcakes.